Saturday, January 21, 2012

Empowerment


Well finally, something has happened worth mentioning on here. Today I was EMPOWERED and it was such a wonderful feeling.
I have this wacky, wonky screwed up family. We all do but mine sometimes takes the cake.

To make a long story very short I have a couple of cousins let us call them S&A. Now when I was younger I went to an adoptive family due to abuse. Not going to discuss that today. Anywhoo, I got talking to them after awhile of being with my new family. My life was going really well for being a tween. I had an allowance, was allowed to go out with friends, listen to whatever music I wanted.
On the flip side, S&A were in a very strict Christian household. They couldn't go out. They "were constantly being punished", all their good music was broken... things of that nature. We began comparing lives and they, I'm assuming, were jealous of my ...good fortune?

I had my adopted mother come storming into my room a few days after this convo accusing me of being a drug dealer and on about eight types of drugs. I had no idea of 1/2 of the drugs she was talking about. I told her as such and asked where she had heard this. ... Wait for it... my grandparents. They had been told by S&A. Supposedly I CONFESSED to them about my party girl ways and swore them to secrecy. I was maybe, at the oldest, 14. It was incredible to me. So now, at 24, I finally did something I should have done years ago.

I told S off. I told her that her interfering in my family had caused me a lot of grief.  I would not "accept her friend request" because I don't need her toxic attitudes in my life fogging up the new ideals I live by,

It was insane, thrilling and all together empowering. I don't know what kind of fallout I'm going to receive from my blood family but at this point: fuck 'em. I know I said what should have been said years ago and now I feel a lot better for having this weight off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment